On June 6, 1944, Allied soldiers descended on the beaches of Normandy for D-Day, an operation that turned the tide of the Second World War against the Nazis, marking the beginning of the end of the conflict. Reuters photographer Chris Helgren compiled archive pictures taken during the invasion and went back to the same places to photograph them as they appear today.
"The Swallow’s Nest (Russian: Ла́сточкино гнездо́, Lastochkino gnezdo, Ukrainian: Ластівчине гніздо, Lastivchyne hnizdo)is a decorative castle located at Gaspra, a small spa town between Yalta and Alupka, on the Crimean Peninsula. It was built between 1911 and 1912, on top of the 40-metre (130 ft) high Aurora Cliff, in a Neo-Gothic design by the Russian architect Leonid Sherwood for the Baltic German oil millionaire Baron von Steingel." [via]